SOHO Series is an entry-level firewall that extends the kind of advanced threat protection that enterprises enjoy. It is packaged with a SMB-friendly price tag. Ideal for home offices, small offices, SMBs, distributed enterprises such as restaurant & retail chains.
Why Choose SonicWall Firewall SOHO 250?
SonicWall SOHO 250 TZ series enables small to mid-size organizations and distributed enterprises. Combining high-speed threat prevention and software-defined wide area networking (SD-WAN) technology with a wide range of networking and wireless features plus simplified deployment and centralized management, the TZ series provides a unified security solution at a low total cost of ownership.
Distributed retail businesses and campus environments can take advantage of the many tools in SonicOS to gain even greater benefits. Branch locations are able to exchange information securely with the central office using virtual private networking (VPN). Creating virtual LANs (VLANs) enables segmentation of the network into separate corporate and customer groups with rules that determine the level of communication with devices on other VLANs. SD-WAN offers a secure alternative to costly MPLS circuits while delivering consistent application performance and availability. Deploying TZ firewalls to remote locations is easy using Zero-Touch Deployment which enables provisioning of the firewall remotely through the cloud.
Enterprise grade network protection
Deep packet inspection of all traffic without restrictions on file size or protocol
Secure 802.11ac wireless connectivity using integrated wireless controller or via external SonicPoint wireless access points
SSL VPN mobile access for Apple iOS, Google Android, Amazon Kindle, Windows, Mac OS and Linux devices
Over 100 additional ports can be securely managed by the TZ console when deployed in combination with Dell X-Series switches
Lacks after sales support
Software/ GUI bugs
This high-performance, proprietary and patented inspection engine performs stream-based, bi-directional traffic analysis, without proxying or buffering, to uncover intrusion attempts and malware and to identify application traffic regardless of port.
An alternative to more expensive technologies such as MPLS, Secure SD-WAN enables distributed enterprise organizations to build, operate and manage secure, high-performance networks across remote sites for the purpose of sharing data, applications and services using readily-available, low-cost public internet services.
Cloud-based and on-premises management.
Configuration and management of SonicWall appliances is available via the cloud through the SonicWall Capture Security Center and on-premises using SonicWall Global Management System (GMS).
Virtual Private Networking
Simplifies and reduces complex distributed firewall deployment down to a trivial effort by automating the initial site-to-site VPN gateway provisioning between SonicWall firewalls while security and connectivity occurs instantly and automatically.
Identifies and controls network traffic going to or coming from specific countries to either protect against attacks from known or suspected origins of threat activity, or to investigate suspicious traffic originating from the network. Provides the ability to create custom country and Botnet lists to override an incorrect country or Botnet tag associated with an IP address. Eliminates unwanted filtering of IP addresses due to misclassification.
Capture Advanced Threat Protection.
The multi-engine sandbox platform, which includes virtualized sandboxing, full system emulation, and hypervisor level analysis technology, executes suspicious code and analyze behavior, providing comprehensive visibility to malicious activity.
Encrypted Threat Prevention.
Decrypts and inspects TLS/SSL encrypted traffic on the fly, without proxying, for malware, intrusions and data leakage, and applies application, URL and content control policies in order to protect against threats hidden in encrypted traffic. Included with security subscriptions for all TZ series models except SOHO. Sold as a separate license on SOHO.
Application intelligence and control.
Control applications, or individual application features, that are identified by the RFDPI engine against a continuously expanding database of over thousands of application signatures, to increase network security and enhance network productivity.
Block content using the predefined categories or any combination of categories. Filtering can be scheduled by time of day, such as during school or business hours, and applied to individual users or groups.
Enforce Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware.
Powerful spyware protection scans and blocks the installation of a comprehensive array of spyware programs on desktops and laptops before they transmit confidential data, providing greater desktop security and performance.
Capture ATP Support
App Visualization and Geo-IP
CSC Management and Reporting
|Max Access Points:||4|
How To Use
- Cabling the SonicWall as a Network Gateway
– Locate the SonicWall ports X0 and X1, port X0 is also label as LAN and port X1 is also label as WAN.
– Connect your Internet access device such as a cable or DSL modem to SonicWall WAN (X1) port
– Then connect SonicWall LAN (X0) port to your laptop or PC or to a Network Switch.
- Setup the SonicWall as a Network Gateway to provide secure access for wired and wireless users
– By providing secure network access to private networks such as LAN or DMZ.
- Access to the Internet through a Cable modem, DSL modem or a 3G/4G modem.
- Access the SonicWall Admin User Interface
– Connect a PC to the SonicWall LAN (X0) interface or a network switch connected to the LAN interface. You will automatically receive an IP address from the SonicWall appliance.
– Open a browser to https://192.168.168.168 for access to the SonicWall.
– For the first time access as the Admin user, you will be offered a choice to use a Setup Wizard or go directly to the SonicWall management interface.
– At the SonicWall management login page the default Admin username and password is: admin/password.
- Use the SonicWall startup wizard for the first time setup of a SonicWall
- Click Next at the Welcome to the SonicOS Setup Wizard page.
– If you need to setup an Access Point, you can run the Wireless Wizard after the Setup Wizard.
- Change Administrator Password page
– You can change the Administrator password.The default Administrator username is “admin” and the default Administrator password is “password.”
- WAN Network Mode page
– Select the option Cable/Mode-based Connections for DHCP assigned IP addresses (Recommended setting), then select the option Router-based Connections for Static IP address and Netmask.
SonicWall is a private company headquartered in Silicon Valley. SonicWall sells range of Internet appliances primarily directed at content control and network security. These include devices providing services for network firewalls, unified threat management (UTM), virtual private networks (VPN), and anti-spam for email.
SonicOS includes a powerful set of capabilities that provides organizations with the flexibility to tune these Unified Threat Management (UTM) firewalls to their specific network requirements. SonicWall Soho 250 is best for small to midsize organizations. What makes the Soho 250 special is it’s Zero-Touch Deployment. Overall, the SonicWall Soho 250 is capable of covering all the security needs of a small network.
If you want to go through more hardware firewall products in the market, feel free to go through other hardware firewall reviews on the site.